Please allow a moment of indulgence on my behalf. I just want to gush about my two sisters. They are two of the most important people in my life. And to be honest with you, I don't know quite how it happened. You see, I am the oldest, and with that comes a lot of responsibility. To be bossy, bratty, selfish, irritating, and to use younger children as your slaves. And I lived up to that responsibility perfectly. To a T. Between the scratching fights that Missy and I had, to trying to convince Jill that she was an orphan...I mean, you can't get any better than that. That is why it is truly a miracle that the three of us have the relationship that we do today. I don't know how or when it happened, but it has. And I do know why. Nobody gets me like these girls. What would I do without them? I sit here in my own little world, in my own little head, thinking my own little thoughts, knowing that if anyone knew how truly weird/crazy/psycho I am no one would ever talk to me again, confident that I am the only one on earth who thinks or feels this way, and then I go running with Melissa or Jill happens to call. I hesitantly begin to tell them stuff, and sure enough, they GET IT! Either they have been thinking the same thing, or they do the same thing, and they know just what I'm talking about. Suddenly, I don't feel as much like a freak. Or else we're all just freaks together. And at that point, who cares? Three people is a GROUP!
And you know, it's like I'm the not older sister anymore. Although I do still try to boss them around. We just call it "giving advice" now. But Melissa and Jill are so wise and smart, they are so faithful in the gospel and such good wives and mothers, they are talented and beautiful. They are examples to me and I look up to them and try to be more like them. The roles quite often reverse when I have a bad day and leave a voice mail for Jill in a sad, sorry voice and she calls me back soon after to make sure I'm ok and cheers me up with words of encouragement or when I have dragged myself out of bed with a sugar-induced hangover at 6 am to meet Melissa and then perk up the second she starts telling her tale. Seriously, I could go on and on.
You know, it's funny because lately I have been thinking about Emma and Leah's relationship and with them going to Parkside next year maybe we should split them up more to make sure they make their own friends, etc. I worry that they are too attached to each other and I don't want them to be socially inept, blah blah blah. Then Melissa and I go to an Enrichment activity and do exactly what I am worried about my girls doing--attached at the hip, have to sit by each other, talking about inside stuff while at the dinner table with others (we try and keep it on the DL to be polite). Really, is the sister bond something to be afraid of? I think I am going to let Emma and Leah's relationship play out as it will and I hope and pray that they end up as good of friends as we have. And that they get to live next to Brooke. What I wouldn't give for Jill to be out here too. The three of us would be a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. Props to my mom for hanging in there with us--she's gotta be pretty happy with the way things turned out!
And I am not going to apologize or try to excuse or justify our relationship. Not everyone understands it, some have been intimidated by it, and not many have been able to enter it. But it is. And I love it.


2 comments:
You know what I'm doing right now. Kids - don't look at me!
Thanks for making me cry! Gosh! I miss you so much.
Post a Comment