Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Walloping Dose of Winter

It was bound to happen eventually. We have had an idyllic fall here in the Cleve. Warm days, sunshine, and dry, clear sidewalks. It has been a veritable paradise for us Northeastern Ohioans. Even recently, regions on both sides of us have been hit hard, but somehow Mother Nature overlooked us.

Until now. The bubble has burst. In the last 36 hours or so, we have had so many different types of weather. No wonder Clevelanders talk about the weather so much! There's so much to talk about! It started yesterday afternoon with that piddly little snow that I don't like. It seems like it's going to be nothing, but by the evening there was a good inch on the ground. This morning when we woke up, it was pouring rain. All the snow in the driveway had turned to slush. It's a lot of fun to walk in while wearing Sunday clothes and shoes. While we were in church the big storm hit. I couldn't even see our house across the street when it was time to go home. Add in the winds, and you've got quite a blizzard on your hands. It made for a great Browns game, though. (Not that I watched any--I was snoozing on the couch.) By 4:30 the game was over and Glenn and the kids headed outside to do some shoveling.



The kids came in with red noses and rosy cheeks, but the fresh air and exercise was good for them. Ok, I know it's Sunday, but the kids' exercise ox gets stuck in some really cold and snowy mire sometimes.

I think the kids are kind of hoping for a snow day tomorrow (Andrew, not so much--he'd miss gym). It is still pretty cold and the wind is blowing the snow all over the place, but the roads are clear and nothing is actually falling. I am sure they will be heading out the door in boots with their snow pants in tow bright and early tomorrow morning.

I actually kind of like the snow. It is very appropriate this time of year. It is very inappropriate in April and May, and that is when I start to hate it. But we had a cozy afternoon and the kids are tucked snugly into their beds. (Wait--I think I just heard the toilet flush.) Anyway, as Glenn always says, if it's going to be this cold, you might as well have some snow to go with it. Around here, it just comes with the territory.

0 comments: